Full Marathon Guide
Great Running Shoes
Marathon Running Apparel
Running & Exercise Tips
Most Popular Articles
- Youngest Person to Run a Marathon
- 5 Leg Exercises for Runners
- Stairmaster vs Elliptical
- How to Organize a 5k Race
- Top Abs Exercises for Runners
- What are The Possible Elliptical Injuries
- Elliptical Workout Music
- Using Elliptical While Pregnant
- Best Jogging Headphones
- Pros and Cons of Fold up Elliptical Machines
- Shoulder Exercises needed for Marathon Runners
- How to get Strong Lower Back to Run Better
5 Leg Exercises for Runners
Exercises to Build Stronger Leg for Running
One of the ways by which you can actually run faster and better is to actually engage in an exercise routine suitable for the legs. Strength training exercise is advisable especially if you want to avoid any injuries.
Based on studies, legs exercise has a good effect when it comes to running as this can strengthen and loose muscles that can affect your performance.
Do you want to run better and faster? Then one of the answers to this is to do leg exercises. If you are a runner, you need to undergo strength training exercises that could help in preventing muscle injuries. When you run, you will develop strength in your quadriceps and your hamstrings. If there is imbalance, you will feel cramps and muscle pulls. According to studies, you can avoid this problem by undergoing exercises that will loosen and lengthen the muscles in your legs. To be able to reach efficiency, it is better if the upper and lower portions of the body are balanced so it will be better if you undergo strength and conditioning program. Here are the 5 leg exercises that you can try in order to achieve strength and endurance.
- Calf raises – This can be done anywhere and it doesn’t need any equipment. This is a simple exercise that can develop your muscles in the calf. To do this, you need to place your hand on your hips then raise yourself to your toes and lower yourself. You can do this 10 to 20 times in set of 2 to 3. You can also perform different motions with this exercise.
- Squats – This exercise is good for your hamstring and quadriceps. To perform this, you need to keep your back straight then put your hand on your side. Slowly lower yourself by bending your knees then raise yourself. Your feet should be shoulder length apart.
- One legged Squats – This is an alternative from the two legged squats. This can be quite challenging but can help you build your leg strength and balance. Be careful in doing this exercise because it can strain your knees.
- Leg Curls – If you want to strengthen your hamstrings then this exercise if for you. You can do this on a bench, couch and floors. It will be best to add weights for it to become more effective.
- Leg Extensions – This are great for quadriceps muscles. To do this, you need to sit on a chair and keep your back straight. Raise your leg until its parallel to the floor and slowly lower it.